Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Hiatus

We're on a bit of a break from schooling since Junior #4 (Aaron) was born two weeks ago. I've been trying to at least do our five minute reading lesson each day, but even that gets swept under the rug occasionally. Our Math lesson is next priority and only happens about once a week. The last one we tried to do only got half finished. But an unexpected bonus has emerged: the last two days the boys have been completely engaged in entertaining themselves all day long. They have fully discovered "pretend play" which has never been a huge part of our day before. Now they spend all day building forts, putting action figures in train cars, playing "family," etc. I often will hear the a call of "Mommy!" only to get a confused look when I answer. Oh! The big truck is the Mommy truck.

At times I feel a twinge of guilt knowing that most other kids Ethan's age are getting a whole days worth of stimulating structured activities in their kindergarten class. But I have to remind myself that free play is just as important as any other activity at this age (if not more), and we will make up for it later when I am more able to predict our daily routine.

2 comments:

Lauren said...

If only they could play "school" instead of Family trucks. Ethan can teach Sean all about numbers. Oh well!

Karen said...

I was at the half price book store in the Westwood shopping area
(120th and center) and I came across a section for homeschool.

It's not a huge section but I thumbed through a few books and they looked pretty good. I love to go there because everything is so inexpensive. I get kids books in the clearance area for $1-3 each...score :D

Just thought I'd let you know about that resource.